Living Green Facebook Page

Living Green Facebook Page
Click on the Picture and join me on Facebook for some great articles on how to live a green, happy, healthy life!

Friday, November 9, 2012

Cindy Arko completed the Beach to Battleship IronMan

Profile: Cindy Arko, Associate, NJ Last month, Cindy Arko completed the Beach to Battleship IronMan® Triathlon in North Carolina -- a tough competition even by elite athlete standards. But for Cindy, the race was more than a test of physical endurance…it was a chance to prove her strength and tenacity in the face of some tough obstacles. Check out her story and how Shaklee products powered her inspirational achievement. My day began with a 2.4 mile swim, then a 112 mile bike ride and concluded with a 26.2 mile run. I’m proud to say Shaklee products were with me every step of the way! A normal day for me always starts with Vita-Lea®, OmegaGuard®, CoQHeart®, B-Complex and Optiflora®. Besides a healthy diet, I know Shaklee Sports Nutrition™ has provided me with an excellent foundation to stay healthy and maintain great energy levels. I use Shaklee Performance® exclusively for hydration in my training - before, during and after every workout. Shaklee Physique® has also been an integral part of my exercise recovery regimen. For me, getting to the race was as much of a challenge as completing it. I had a serious cycling accident in June and I was afraid my dream of completing an Ironman was crushed. I was told I’d be out for the season and there was just no way I would recover in time for the race. After about five weeks off my bike and very little training, I decided there was a way! And Shaklee Moodlift® Complex*, Gentle Sleep Complex* and Shaklee Sports Nutrition – (especially Physique), helped me get myself back in the game! I’m so thankful to Roger for all that he does to make Shaklee the best Nutrition Company on the planet. I’m also thankful for my upline Master Coordinator, Jeanne Toovell (Senior Master Coordinator, NY) for believing in me, and never giving up on me during some rough times. It’s been a journey and I’ve struggled. One thing that has remained constant is Shaklee. I feel so blessed Shaklee is such a big part of my life and my training. Cindy’s IronMan Nutrition Plan: With any endurance event nutrition is key to success. I’ve seen athletes put in the time training but never make it to the finish line due to stomach issues or just hitting the wall. I made up my mind I wasn’t going to let that happen. I finished my race in 14 hours with no cramping, and no issues whatsoever. Here’s a recap of where I think Shaklee made the difference. Race Weekend: The week prior I loaded up on Optiflora, Vitamin C and Garlic Complex to support my immune system going into the race.* I consumed Three 16-20 oz bottles of Performance the night before the race, in addition to one double serving of Energizing Soy Protein and two Gentle Sleep Complex before bedtime to help me settle down. Pre-Swim Breakfast I needed about 850 calories at 4 AM before the race started. Very tough - but a combination of Energizing Soy Protein, oatmeal, a banana and Shaklee Energy Chews worked very well for me and was easy on my stomach. I consumed one large (20 ounce) bottle of Performance, a teaspoon of Vivix®, all my vitamins - and I was out the door running! Bike Ride Fuel On my bike I prepared a mix in advance to get approximately 2,000 calories to get me through my 6-7 hour ride. I consumed most of my nutrition on the bike to be prepared to run 26.2 miles without issue. The mix consisted of a concentrated Triple Serving of Performance and Physique which I sipped every fifteen minutes on the bike. Midway through the bike ride at Mile 56, I ate an egg sandwich, some Fig Newtons® and took one Vita-Lea and one B-Complex. I also had a small plastic bag of Performance and a few salt tablets and refilled my water bottle for the second half of the ride. The ride seemed easy and I was ready for the run – my biggest physical challenge. Aside from some pesky ongoing leg issues, the run was a breeze. Before the run, I took in some quick calories. No need for Performance by this time, because I was fully fueled from the bike. I consumed water and chicken broth at the aid stations and at mile 14 and again at 22 when I needed an extra boost; I ate two Shaklee Energy* Chews. My plan worked without a hitch. I am an IRONMAN! I ran through the finish line with phenomenal energy and little-to-no muscle pain. Thank you Shaklee! All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All the products listed above can be purchased at http://greenproducts.myshaklee.com/us/en/ Or you can sign uo and become part of the team and offer these high quality product to your customers. http://greenproducts.myshaklee.com/us/en/

No comments:

Post a Comment